Thursday, February 28, 2008

Notebook Blogging #6

I have a feeling this is going to be short. :p Because of the weather we have not been able to put our floor system in the house. It will be too cold one day and the next day it will rain! Crazy weather. Anyway the only blog worthy thing to occur in class was building a playhouse for a guy in class named Joy. Yes, that is his real name, my sisters did not believe me at first. Joy wanted a playhouse for his son so Mr. T. decided it would be a good chance for everyone to practice swinging a hammer or something like that.

We built the playhouse in the shop just like you would a real house, framed up the walls, floor, roof all following code as if it was a real house. Then we covered the whole thing with OSB and tar papered and shingled the roof! It has got to be the nicest playhouse I have ever seen and it weighs over a ton, literally! The only trouble is now Joy has to figure out how to get the monstrosity home.

Our teacher Mr. T. is a very funny guy, he went through the class 30 some years ago and then ended up back teaching the class. He also has a great sense of humor, a few days ago a phone went off in class and the ring tone was the William Tell Overture. Mr. T. looked up from what he was doing and started prancing in place like he was riding a horse with this cheesy grin on his face, oh the times I wish I had a video camera. :D He also has a habit of making some pretty funny quotes, three of the best have been:

"Doing a song and dance number with a truss in your hand is no fun"

"Treat that level like a woman, gentle like"

"Believe you me, when you finish with this class, you will be tight with your ruler"

The third one was in response to a guy who when asked, said he could read a ruler but he was not that "tight" with it. Most importantly Mr. T. is a wealth of information when it comes to building anything you can imagine, including furniture, (which is what he wants to do someday, build custom furniture) When I learn something new I am the type of person who wants to get out and put that knowledge to practice or tell people about what I learned, I have learned so much I did not know before that it sometimes bugs me that it is winter, (and I love winter) because I can't get out and work on things like I will be able to do once it warms a bit. I actually can't wait for summer which I think is really funny since as those who know me can attest to, I have never been a great fan of summer. :p

2 comments :

  1. N said...

    "Joy"...that is a strange name. Is he Asian or something, so that's either normal or a short version of something complicated??

    That's pretty awesome that his son got a playhouse out of the deal! lol Well, except for the transportation issue...

  2. Will said...

    No he is not Asian, but the name really does fit him, he smiles and laughs almost more than me. :p