Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Hawaiian shirts

The other day in a round about way I ended up being in the men's department of Sears looking for dress clothes. Being a guy I don't normally roam department stores alone in search of clothes, not because I don't like clothes, I do, in fact I have a whole theology about clothes and society but in the interest of not chasing away the few people who read this I will leave it at that. Anyway I browsed around looking for something on sale and came across Lands End dress shirts for 6.50 and right there on top was my size! Let me stop here and say, I don't think I have ever, as in never ever in my life, found my size in a dress shirt that is on sale, it just does not happen, I am a weird size. Anyway I was about as pumped as you can be about a white dress shirt :D I actually might have (unconsciously of course) had an exclamation of joy, I can't remember exactly, but the sales lady messing with the pants a few racks down looked at me a bit strange. I just grinned at her like a fool.....

After finding 4 more dress shirts @ 6.50 that were my size I was trying to figure out how I could afford to buy all 5. Ok well I could afford to buy them but even with such a great price I could not convince myself I needed 5 more shirts. I am thrifty, too thrifty sometimes according to my mother. The truth is I have no problem at all spending money, but only on something that is a necessity, if it is not a necessity I will try to find the best deal I can and if not I just won't buy the item... Everyone who knows me well has probably heard one or more of stories of the extremes I have gone to in my search for the "best" deal. Maybe I will post them sometime, but this post is already getting a bit long and we have not gotten to the reason of this post, Hawaiian shirts.

When I went to check out, there was this older guy around 60ish with a shirt on that said "grandpa" pretty ordinary looking. What was not ordinary, or at least not to me, was what he was purchasing, Hawaiian shirts! I mean not muted colors either these were pretty out there. I just thought it was rather funny to see this old dude getting shirts like that. I personally have a few Hawaiian shirts myself there is nothing wrong with looking like a sleazy car sales man once and a while but they should be worn at the beach or some other tropical place. Where we live is hours from the beach and we are nowhere near a tropical climate, so when I saw this older man buying Hawaiian shirts I just had to shake my head. Standards for the type of clothes people wear everyday sure have changed! Me in a Hawaiian shirt in the proper environment:
Notice how the shirt matches the scenery? This beach was actually where I met a very good friend of mine, Red. Even though sometimes he can be a real pain, we still seem to run into each other from time to time. He actually showed up for a visit a few weeks ago and just now left.

4 comments :

  1. Anonymous said...

    Cool shirt...good picture.
    Poor Red. I totally agree, he can be such a pain!!!

  2. Will said...

    Yeah he tends to hang around when he is not wanted...

  3. Anonymous said...

    According to the travel agent in charge, anyone who knows anything about travel would know this is the beach on Guam.

  4. Will said...

    I have no idea who you are but you are correct. That picture was taken when I was in Guam....