Tuesday, October 23, 2007

It happened to me again!

Last night I had a movie screening so I ate dinner at Burger King. I sit down with my whoppers and begin eating, all of a sudden out of the blue this old guy who was at a table next to me asks an open ended question about the drought we are in. Not wanting to be rude I answer him and we then proceeded to have a 10 minute conversation about rain, sprinklers, and grass!!! I think maybe I have an invisible "I will talk with you" sign on my head that strangers see or something.

Or maybe these people are just lonely, and when I respond back to them they see me as someone who will listen and talk to them. I have always tried to be a cheerful person when I come in contact with people in the world. Virgina, this old lady at one of the local post offices calls me "Smiley" because she said it could be pouring down rain outside but I always come in with a smile. That is how I want to be, someone who is always cheerful, a reflection of God's love in me. Sometimes though, when I am not coming in contact with everyday people in the world but rather people I know, especially my family, I have realized am not quite as cheerful as I could be.

My family will attest to this, sometimes I am moody. It is like I have a cloud over my head ok maybe I am not that bad. :p I don't sit and brood or mope around. Rather my communication with others becomes curt and irritated. I know there are people who I have offended in the past because I just ripped into them without cause. A lot of times what I may be saying is true, but because I am in a bad mood, I say it with the wrong spirit and something right said in the wrong spirit is still wrong. I used to think if what I am saying is right, people should just suck it up and not get in a tizzy about the way I say it.

I have come to realize though that growing up my parents might have known what they were talking about a little more than I wanted to believe. Being cheerful around the people who know you the best is probably one of the hardest things to do, at least for me, and it is something you can't do on your own. I know, because I have tried. ;) Only with God's help can we really be cheerful all the time (even when we don't feel like it) Inevitably we still are probably going to stumble and snap a head off now and again. But for the most part we will be a better reflection of God's love, and you never know, random strangers in Burger King might start up conversations with you!

9 comments :

  1. Anonymous said...

    I agree, cheerfulness is also my goal and I think a hearflet smile is just about the best ministry in the world.

  2. Anonymous said...

    he, i mean hearTFELT

  3. Anonymous said...

    Did this come after our chat about brooding :)?

    Smiling is very good I should do it more often.

    Though the other day I was trying to be cheerful and I smiled at this guy that was staring at me and he scowled. I guess I should pick and choose.

    See ya in 4 days!!!

  4. Will said...

    heh well actually some of it did... :p Maybe that guy had braces and just did not want to smile...

  5. Anonymous said...

    ooooo, your profile pic is spooky mr. henderson!!!!!!!!!

  6. Anonymous said...

    We've been talking about this subject a lot around our house lately...being kind to those at home, before you pour your "all" into others.

    Lol, we always say that my mom wears the "talk to me" sign, too.

    Actually, I think it runs in the family. ;)

  7. Will said...

    Why thank you for your comment Sarah/Joe. :) How was that worm?

  8. Anonymous said...

    Actually the "guy" did not have braces, he was like 30 :).
    Just needed to clarify.....

    Oh ya, and I just got to see your new profile picture for the first time yesterday....I like it. Though I must admit, it did scare me for a minute.

  9. Will said...

    lol I did not think it would scare people! You should hear what Sarah said about it....