Friday, October 26, 2007

People being Stupid News item of the Week

SILVER SPRINGS SHORES, Fla. (AP) — A suspected thief trying to help himself to convenience store goods instead wound up crying for help after becoming stuck in an air shaft for 10 hours.

Jeffery Mumani, 25, was rescued Tuesday. He removed an air conditioning cover at a CVS store Monday night and tried to enter the store via the shaft but became trapped, Marion County Sheriff's Capt. James Pogue said. He began calling for help about 8 a.m. Tuesday.

"I heard a cat in the thing. I was trying to chase the cat," Mumani told the Ocala Star-Banner. He denied attempting to steal prescription drugs. "No, sir, it's a feline cat — a little animal." It took firefighters an hour and a half to rescue Mumani, but he suffered only minor cuts and was in stable condition, Fire Rescue spokeswoman Heather Danenhower.

Mumani has been charged with commercial burglary, possession of burglary tools and felony criminal mischief, Pogue said. Online records with the Florida Department of Corrections indicate Mumani has previous convictions in South Florida for burglary and drug-related crimes.


Oh and one more just for my sister:

WAUKESHA, Wis., Oct. 24 (UPI) -- A 27-year-old man who indulged his shoe fetish by stealing more than 1,500 pairs of shoes in Waukesha, Wis., has been sentenced to four years of probation.

After being convicted of the unusual theft from four local schools, Erik Heinrich was also sentenced by Waukesha County Circuit Judge J. Mac Davis to two months in jail and 100 hours of community service, the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel said Tuesday.

"The circumstances cry out that there is a mental health issue," the judge said after announcing Heinrich's sentence.

The unique incident came to light on May 21, when several local female high school students reported having had their lockers broken into and having their shoes stolen.

The newspaper said that the ensuing investigation eventually lead police to Heinrich, who said he regretted what he had done and hoped to overcome his affliction through counseling and hard work.

"I'm very ashamed of my past actions," Heinrich said during his trial. "I feel remorse for what I've done and now it's time to move on with my life."



3 comments :

  1. Anonymous said...

    Ohhhhh, the first one made me claustrophobic for him!!!
    I can't imagine that!!! I am so claustrophobic, why, just the other night I started freaking out when I couldn't get my ring off of my finger.

    I won't go on amusement park rides if they lever comes over my body.
    Oh, wait....you had the "pleasure" of being there when I flipped out on that ride at Kingdom Bound.

  2. Will said...

    Freaking out because you can't get a ring off! It sounds like you have a pretty serious case!

  3. Anonymous said...

    Me too, I couldn't stand being stuck like that!!!! I get frantic if I get tightly tangled in a blanket!

    You reckon he spent all night thinking up that story?